Monday 16 May 2011

Cafe Review: Best Vanilla Slice: Just Fine Food

Location: 23 Ocean Rd, Sorrento, 3943
Phone: (03) 5984 4666
Cuisine: Cafe style
Overall impression: 7/10 

We were in Sorrento for a relaxing weekend away with my sister, my brother-in-law and my beautiful baby niece. It's cold this time of the year but we enjoyed how much more tranquil Sorrento felt. It was a wonderful trip filled with wine-tastings, wine-purchases and excessive food consumption.
We decided to try out the illustrious Sorrento vanilla slice from Just Fine Food. Its always interesting to see whether something lives up to the hype that surrounds it. And in the case of this vanilla slice, it certainly did! My tastebuds were in heaven, every moreish morsel was delectably balanced. I find vanilla slices in general far too sweet for my liking but these struck the perfect balance.
The pastry quite literally melted in my mouth and yet did not lose its sheet-like textural elements. The custard filling was smooth and delicate with a hint of lemon twang to it. It was delicious. I tried not to think about the amount of calories I was consuming because it tasted decadently deadly.
But yes, beautiful.
Just Fine Food on Urbanspoon

No comments: