Wednesday 14 September 2011

Cafe Review: Pellegrini's Espresso Bar

Location: 66 Bourke St, Melbourne
Phone: (03) 9662 1885
Cuisine: Italian
Overall Impression: 5/10

There used to be the four of us. Veronica, Cathy, Liz and I. Veronica now lives in Cairo. Cathy, in Singapore and Liz in New York. During Veronica and Liz's recent visit, we decided to pop by Pellegrini's for a quick coffee to reminisce. It doesn't look like anything has changed. I love the charm of Pellegrini's. A Melbourne icon, it has the style of a 1950’s Italian diner with its checquered tiles and humble bar stools. Renown for hearty and classical Italian fare, it is a cafe that has earned a place in my heart. I have many fond memories here with friends.
I have read recent blog reviews on Pellegrini's and have noticed that many walk in expecting une veritable experience gastronomique and are not surprisingly disappointed.
I like this cafe because I do not go here to be blown away by the food. The pastas are priced at a very fair $15 a plate. This is hearty, simple and honest Italian food. Nothing fancy. And certainly, nothing gourmet. It is peasant food executed reasonably well at a reasonable price.
In my opinion, Pellegrini's delivers because it brings into fruition all that it promises.
So, yes, come here if you would like something casual and simple. The service is great (the staff are wonderfully friendly and helpful) and the food is simple and nice.

Pellegrini's Espresso Bar on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Kenny said...

Bravo! I reckon the negative reviews of Pellrgrini's are captive to unreal expectations and missing the point.

Gastrology said...

Thanks, Kenny!